You can help CNIS by giving a legacy. Planned gifts can be made by lifetime donors and volunteers who want to continue to support CNIS for the next generation, as well as by people who may not be able to donate immediately, but want to support the work of CNIS. Your legacy is deeply appreciated by CNIS and can provide significant tax benefits to you and your estate.

Ways you can leave a legacy for CNIS:

In your Will – You can make a cash gift of a specific amount or leave a share of the residue of your estate to CNIS. The gift can be for general purposes or for a specific purpose that is particularly meaningful to you (such as one of our programs or a specific country where CNIS works). Your estate will get a tax receipt to claim the charitable tax credit for the donation which can help offset the taxes for your estate.

Hide sample wording

Sample wording: “To pay $___ to THE CANADIAN NETWORK FOR INTERNATIONAL SURGERY (Charitable Registration No. 898961552RR0001, having its office located at 105 – 1985 West Broadway, Vancouver, British Columbia, for its general purposes OR it being my hope that it will be applied by CNIS to _________________”

Life insurance – You can designate CNIS as the beneficiary of some or all of a life insurance policy you own (your estate will get the charitable tax credit) or you can make CNIS the owner of a life insurance policy you pay the premiums on (you claim the charitable tax credit during your lifetime) .

Gift of Publicly Traded Securities – You can donate publicly traded securities directly to CNIS immediately during your life or as part of your estate. When publicly traded shares are donated to CNIS, you or your estate gets a charitable tax credit and there is also a capital gains exemption on the shares. This is a very tax efficient way to give.

RRSPs and RRIFs – You can designate CNIS as the beneficiary of some or all of your RRSPs or RRIFs. The tax credits for the donation can help offset the tax that would be payable on the RRSP or RRIF.

To find out more, contact CNIS, your financial advisor or your estate planning lawyer.