As a CNIS volunteer, you are an integral part of our life-saving teaching initiatives, having positive impact on the lives of millions of people living in Africa. Whether you teach overseas, help us edit manuals, program our web site, sew surgical simulators, or raise funds and awareness, your volunteer work with CNIS will be truly life-saving!
Become part of our amazing volunteer team!
CNIS has almost 40 surgeons, obstetricians and perioperative nursing instructors from all across Canada who volunteer their time, developing course material and teaching our instructor courses in Africa, Guyana and Haiti.
All CNIS instructors must first take an instructor course in Canada, or Africa and be certified to teach the CNIS courses. Certifications for Canadian and African instructors are usually valid for 3 years. To find out about Canadian instructor courses, please visit the Upcoming Courses and Events page or contact our Vancouver office.
In addition, CNIS is assisted by nearly 300 non-clinical volunteers who bring other areas of expertise to our organization – web and internet technology, manual editing, illustrations, translation, event-coordination, fundraising, sewing and many other important tasks. Last year, CNIS non-clinical volunteers alone volunteered more then 7400 hours for our organization! Thank you!
Volunteer positions currently available.
- Facebook guru – Help CNIS reach new audiences through Facebook. Help us get hundreds of new friends and promot our courses, events and other work through social media.
- Sewing and props making volunteers for medical teaching models for our Essential Surgical Skills (ESS) and Structured Operative Obstetrics (SOO) courses
- Celebrity contact. CNIS needs an internationally known Canadian icon (from film, TV, the music industry or other media celebrity) to endorse our important cause
- Event volunteers to help host and prepare our annual public events and fundraisers
- Media volunteer with solid media connections to help with media releases and press relations
- Injury Research Moderators for the African Injury Database AIDB
- Wiki Content Developers
- Fundraising volunteers with experience and connections in the Vancouver business community
- IT volunteers with solid background in HTML, PHP and especially WordPress
Please Contact us if you are interested in helping.